Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What's in a Name Anyway???



Very recently I was bestowed the distinct honor of receiving my 'given name' in Korean. At 5'10, blonde with light eyes and skin - I am sure you are undoubtedly confused as to why one such as myself would be in need of a Korean name. Believe it or not, I am of direct Korean descent on my mother's side, and given my Irish-American father's dark features (skin, hair, eyecolor) and shorter height - I am a genetic anomaly. My sister, however, did take on several such features, as indicated in the photograph above.

While I do not take on the traditional physical appearance of my culture, I embrace it wholeheartedly and actively participate in Korean organizations, even having audiences with Consulars and the Korean Ambassador to the United States. And so, I respectfully requested to the family that I be given my official Korean name (many Koreans in the United States have both an American name and a Korean name).

To be honest, it was quite the painstaking process given that my family can date itself back for thousands of years. For families with ancestry in the yangban, or 'highest society', as mine was, naming can be a very scientific process whereby ancestors preordained what subsequent generations would be named. Living relatives were tasked to scour ancient logs to retrieve vital information.


Korean Naming


The ruling class yangban began adopting given names using 'hanja' or Chinese characters - following traditions set up during the Unified Silla Dynasty (668 CE-935CE) - which continues on in certain higher society families today. These generation names allowed ancestors from thousands of years ago the ability to decide the names of family offspring today and beyond.

Generational Naming


This practice was stalled in the 20th century during Japanese occupation of Korea, that did affect the selection of my mother's name, Young-Cha (the family name is Yim, and in Korea the family name is presented first - Yim Young-Cha...additionally, in previous generations, women did not change their family names; however, due to Western influence, women are increasingly taking on the family name of their husbands in Korea).


While traditionally I would be provided a given name including hanja (predetermined by my noble ancestors), the family council met and provided me a Nationalist Korean name using only ν•œκΈ€ ('Hangul' or Korean characters), setting a precedent for my generation and future generations of the Yim family.


Names of Korea

Hangul


After family council deliberations, my given name is μ‚¬λž‘ , which means "Love" (pronounced Sah-Dahng; the 'D' is actually a rolled 'R' sound)!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

good choice in a korean name! :D